Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania, Inc. in partnership with the Beaver Borough Volunteer Fire Department and the United Way of Beaver County distributed complimentary carbon monoxide detectors to Beaver Borough community members. Of approximately 1,400 detectors distributed statewide, 350 were available for pick-up at the Beaver Borough Volunteer Fire Department’s Open House event held on Saturday, October 19th.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that often goes undetected, striking victims caught off guard or in their sleep. More than 400 people in the U.S. die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning every year. This “invisible killer” is produced by burning fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, portable generators or furnaces. When the gas builds up in enclosed spaces, people or animals who breathe it can be poisoned. Ventilation does not guarantee safety. Winter can be a prime time for carbon monoxide poisoning as people turn on their heating systems and mistakenly warm their cars in garages. So as the weather turns colder, it’s important to take extra precautions. The National Safety Council recommends you install a battery-operated or battery backup carbon monoxide detector in the hallway near each separate sleeping area in your home. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall and replace the detector every five years.
If families missed the opportunity to pick-up a free detector, Columbia Gas has partnered with First Alert to provide a 20% discount on various carbon monoxide detectors if ordered online at www.firstalertstore.com/columbiagas. Offer expires 1-31-20.
“We need to keep our communities safe and the surest way to know if there is carbon monoxide in your home is with a detector,” said Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania General Manager Mike Davidson.