As part of its infrastructure modernization program, Columbia Gas will be replacing more than 1,200 feet of underground pipe and service lines impacting 21 customers along portions of Insurance and Turnpike streets between 3rd and 4th streets, staring in mid-November. Work is expected to last for about a month, weather permitting, and will take place Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., with temporary road closures possible during working hours.
The construction work will require a temporary interruption of natural gas service for affected customers while their service is transferred to the new pipe. Columbia Gas will personally contact affected customers prior to shutting off service and to schedule service restoration.
Customers with indoor meters also will have their meters relocated to the outside of the premises. This, and other work on existing outside meters, will be completed at no additional cost to customers.
All company and contract employees carry photo ID badges identifying them as Columbia Gas employees or contractors. Customers are encouraged to ask for ID before allowing anyone into their home, or they can call 1-888-460-4332 for Columbia Gas employee verification.
Motorists traveling through Columbia Gas work zones should exercise caution and be prepared for slowed or temporarily stopped traffic during working hours. Motorists should keep a safe distance between vehicles, reduce speed in work zones, and obey flaggers and all posted signs, including detours and parking restrictions.
What You Can Expect
- MARK the right of way and existing utilities with flags, stakes, and temporary paing. When we make personal contact with you, please alert us to any sprinkler systems or invisible dog fences.
- Replace the main line. This pipe usually runs underneath your street.
- REPLACE the service line. This line runs from the main line to the meter that serves your home or business.
- RELOCATE any indoor gas meters to the outside of your home or business.
- RESTORE your property to the same condition is was prior to our project. It may take several days or weeks between some of these steps.