Written by Rick Sprecker, Code Enforcement Officer for Beaver Borough
Summer is when people spend more time on outside recreational activities, performing needed property maintenance and new construction. Please consider these tips during your warm weather summer activities.
- Protect Your Pet When Tethered Outside.
- No more than 9 hours tethered in 24 hour period.
- Tether must be the longer of 3 times the length of the dog or 10 feet.
- No more than 30 minutes in 90+ degree weather.
- Must have water and shade.
- Must be secured by an appropriate collar – no tow or log chain, nor choke, pinch, prong, or chain collars.
- Tethered space must be clear of excessive waste.
- Fire Pits – Outside Burning.
Enjoy your cook-outs, but keep in mind that only small charcoal, wood or gas fires kindled for the purpose of outside barbecues are permitted. No bonfires or other types of outside burning are permitted. Be courteous to your neighbors.
Protect Yourself from Mosquito Bites
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water. Drain, turn over, cover, or throw out items that
hold water. Protect you and your family from mosquito-borne diseases.
Operating Power Equipment
Working on our property is great way to make our yards a more pleasant place and to be a good neighbor. However, as a courtesy to our neighbors please remember that it is prohibited to operate power equipment on any day before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m. Examples are lawn mowers, chain saws and leaf blowers, but not limited to these devices.
Zoning and building permits are required for activities such as rebuilding, moving, enlarging, or physically altering a building or other structure, including but not limited to:
- Major Remodeling
- Changes to Rooflines
- Additions including
- Fencing / Barriers
- Decks or Patios
- Swimming Pools
- Storage Buildings
- New Electrical & Plumbing
Maintenance activities, minor repairs or alterations do not require a permit if the basic structure of an existing building is not affected such as new siding, painting, re-roofing, landscaping or replacement of same size doors or windows.