Many runners swear by the Submarino as their post winter run beverage. A Submarino is basically the Argentine version of hot chocolate. If you use low fat milk you will get about 8 grams of protein, a nice dose of vitamin D and some much-needed antioxidants. The dark chocolate is the submarine, as it sinks when you drop it in. Hence the name, Submarino.
• Milk – 1 cup
• Dark Chocolate (the darker the better) – approx. 25 grams
1. Heat milk and whisk until frothy.
2. Pour it in a serving glass.
3. Drop the chocolate into the glass of hot milk and stir until it melts.
Options: Some people will add a drop of vanilla, or a bit of sugar to sweeten to your taste.
Golden Milk aka Haldi Doodh
This classic Indian drink (haldi=turmeric and doodh=milk) is gaining popularity in the US. It contains turmeric and ginger which provides your body with valuable anti-inflammatories. Many of the additional ingredients are widely considered to provide multiple other health benefits, including boosting brain health and lowering blood sugar levels.
• 1 cup of an unsweetened milk of your choice (dairy, almond, coconut, etc.)
• 1⁄2 cup water
• 1 small piece of grated fresh ginger or 1⁄2 tsp of ginger powder
• 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
• 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
• 1 pinch of ground black pepper
• 1 tsp of honey, raw honey or maple syrup (optional)
• 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan or pot.
2. Bring mixture to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 9-10 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir continuously so as to prevent burning.
4. Pour through a strainer into mugs and top with a pinch of cinnamon.Note: Golden milk can be made five days ahead. Store refrigerated in an airtight container. Warm before serving.