The Beaver Police Department has provided some safety and security tips for this upcoming holiday season. Remember that you can never be too careful or too prepared. Please take a moment and review some basic safety tips and reminders below.
- Keep all doors and windows locked even when home.
- Don’t attract window shoppers, take a walk around your property to see if valuables are visible through windows.
- When leaving home for extended periods of time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and collect mail.
- Stop mail through the U.S. Post Office if you will be away for the holiday season so that it is not pilling up.
- Use automatic timers for outdoor and indoor lights.
- Be aware when packages are being delivered and do not leave them unattended.
- Be aware of strangers at your door, ask for identification.
- Do not let strangers into your home.
- Lock your vehicles when parking in public or private driveway. This time of year unfortunately the police see an increase in vehicle break-ins.
- Be Vigilant!
- Don’t flash large amounts of money or expensive jewelry.
- Keep packages out of view and lock in the truck of your vehicle.
- Be careful when ordering “ONLINE” make sure that you are ordering from a secure website.
- Stick to well-lit areas, and well-traveled areas.
- Be aware of strangers approaching you for any reason. This time of year, con artist may try various ways to distract you with having intentions of taking your belongings.
- Don’t forget thieves will be looking for easy targets.
- Be Safe, Do Not Drink and Drive!
- Have a designated driver or a pre-determined method for traveling if you plan on consuming alcohol.
- During the holiday season law enforcement agencies will be increasing patrols and drivers will begin seeing ads depicting the consequences of driving drunk.
Every Holiday Season, hundreds of lives are lost due to drunk drivers. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation over the past 5 years and average of 300 people died in drunk driving crashes during the week of Christmas and New Year’s and according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration almost 30 people in the U.S. die in drunk driving crashes every day.
On behalf of the Beaver Police Department please stay safe and have a wonderful Holiday Season.